Reply to Gargamuni Prabhu (Brahmananda’s Brother) on “Ritvikism”

Gargamunji prabhu: HDGSP states all ” isms ” are material and mental concoctions of the mind–this includes ” ritvikism ” which does not exist in HDGSP BOOKS–the sanskrit word ” ritvik ” means anyone who may perform fire sacrifices–there is no ” ism ” implied HDGSP GIVES A HUGE SUPPLY OF COMMENTS ON THIS VERY IMPORTANT SUBJECT—

Extended selfishness is manifested in human society and centers around the family, society, community, nation and world with a view to gross bodily comfort. Above these gross materialists are the mental speculators who hover aloft in the mental spheres, and their occupational duties involve making poetry and philosophy or propagating some ism with the same aim of selfishness limited to the body and the mind. But above the body and mind is the dormant spirit soul, whose absence from the body makes the whole range of bodily and mental selfishness completely null and void. But less intelligent people have no information of the needs of the spirit soul.
Because foolish people have no information of the soul and how it is beyond the purview of the body and mind, they are not satisfied in the performance of their occupational duties.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SB 1.2.8

Unfortunately, in this fallen age, people are concerned with the body, not with the soul. They have invented so many “isms” pertaining to the body only, not to the soul.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SB 4.20.15

The word asat means bad or temporary, and sat means permanent and good. Activities performed for the satisfaction of Krsna are permanent and good, but asat activity, although sometimes celebrated as philanthropy, altruism, nationalism, this “ism” or that “ism,” will never produce any permanent result and is therefore all bad.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SB 8.9.29

 

[The full list of quotes, like the above, cited by Gargamuni prabhu are provided at the end of this article.]

 

 

Vidura Mahatma das: Dear Gargamuni prabhu. There is certainly no such a thing as “ritvikism”. But the fact is Srila Prabhupada selected “ritvik” representatives to perform the formalities of initiations even after his transcendental disappearance. Srila Prabhupada himself is to remain the real initiator, that is, the knowledge-imparting diksa guru of ISKCON. I’m afraid the list of quotes you gave to prove that all isms are material are, therefore, not relevant to this fact. Srila Prabhupada issued the July 9th, 1977 letter/directive to all temple presidents therein stating:

 

Recently when all of the GBC members were with His Divine Grace in Vrndavana, Srila Prabhupada indicated that soon He would appoint some of His senior disciples to act as “rittik”-representative of the acarya, for the purpose of performing initiations, both first initiation and second initiation.

[…]

Now that Srila Prabhupada has named these representatives, Temple Presidents may henceforward send recommendation for first and second initiation to whichever of these eleven representatives are nearest their temple. After considering the recommendation, these representatives may accept the devotee as an initiated disciple of Srila Prabhupada by giving a spiritual name, or in the case of second initiation, by chanting on the Gayatri thread, just as Srila Prabhupada has done. The newly initiated devotees are disciples of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupad, the above eleven senior devotees acting as His representative.

July 9th, 1977 letter to all temple presidents

Tamal Krishna Gosvami Secretary to Srila Prabhupada

Signed and approved A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

 

 

Gargamuni prabhu, you wrote to me that it was Tamal Krishna who used the term “ritvik” (seemingly implying that it wasn’t authorized by Srila Prabhupada). However, Srila Prabhupada signed and approved of the letter wherein the term was used. To disobey the signed and approved letter is the same as disobeying Srila Prabhupada.

Moreover, that Srila Prabhupada approved of the term “ritvik” is clear from the May 28th, 1977 conversation between Srila Prabhupada and his leading disciples:

 

Satsvarupa: “Then our next question concerns initiations in the future, particularly at that time when you’re no longer with us. We want to know how first and second initiations would be conducted.”

Prabhupada: “Yes; I shall recommend some of you. After this is settled up, I shall recommend some of you to act as officiating acharyas.”

Tamala Krsna: “Is that called ritvik-acharya?”

Prabhupada: “Ritvik yes.”

 

Additionally, Srila Prabhupada wrote:

 

July 19th: “Make your own field and continue to become ritvik and act on my charge.”

July 31st: (TKG quotes SP in letter to Hansadutta): “Make your own field and continue to become rittvic and act on my behalf.'” [letter to Hansadutta, dated July 31, 1977]

 

Srila Prabhupada ordered ritvik representatives to initiate devotees on his behalf. They are supposed to be Srila Prabhupada’s disciples. Material circumstances such as physical location cannot impede the imparting of transcendental knowledge from the bona fide spiritual master unto the bona fide submissive disciple. Real initiation depends on the sincerity of the disciple in executing the spiritual master’s orders, then the spiritual master automatically blesses him with spiritual knowledge. This is confirmed by Srila Prabhupada in his purport to verse 4.34 in the Bhagavad-gita:

TEXT 34

tad viddhi praṇipātena

paripraśnena sevayā

upadekṣyanti te jñānaṁ

jñāninas tattva-darśinaḥ

TRANSLATION

Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart knowledge unto you because he has seen the truth.

PURPORT

The path of spiritual realization is undoubtedly difficult. The Lord therefore advises us to approach a bona fide spiritual master in the line of disciplic succession from the Lord Himself. No one can be a bona fide spiritual master without following this principle of disciplic succession. The Lord is the original spiritual master, and a person in the disciplic succession can convey the message of the Lord as it is to his disciple. No one can be spiritually realized by manufacturing his own process, as is the fashion of the foolish pretenders. The Bhāgavatam says: dharmaṁ hi sākṣād-bhagavat-praṇītam—the path of religion is directly enunciated by the Lord. Therefore, mental speculation or dry arguments cannot help one progress in spiritual life. One has to approach a bona fide spiritual master to receive the knowledge. Such a spiritual master should be accepted in full surrender, and one should serve the spiritual master like a menial servant, without false prestige. Satisfaction of the self-realized spiritual master is the secret of advancement in spiritual life. Inquiries and submission constitute the proper combination for spiritual understanding. Unless there is submission and service, inquiries from the learned spiritual master will not be effective. One must be able to pass the test of the spiritual master, and when he sees the genuine desire of the disciple, he automatically blesses the disciple with genuine spiritual understanding. In this verse, both blind following and absurd inquiries are condemned. One should not only hear submissively from the spiritual master; but one must also get a clear understanding from him, in submission and service and inquiries. A bona fide spiritual master is by nature very kind toward the disciple. Therefore when the student is submissive and is always ready to render service, the reciprocation of knowledge and inquiries becomes perfect.

 

Srila Prabhupada’s blessing is automatically there for anyone who wants to elevate themselves in Krishna consciousness by following the instructions in his books. Why did he write all of his books? For everyone for the next 10,000 years to take advantage of. Srila Prabhupada is the spiritual master to seek refuge in when reading his books. This is the principle behind Srila Prabhupada selecting ritvik representatives to initiate (formally) on his behalf. It is only from a misunderstanding of the principle of initiation that one derides Srila Prabhupada’s order.

 

Yours in Srila Prabhupada’s service,

Vidura Mahatma das

 

 

 

 

 

The full list of quotes Gargamuni prabhu cited in regard to “isms”.

 

Unfortunately, modern politicians and other leaders stress the bodily comforts of life [SB 10.84.13]) and concentrate on the activities of this ism and that ism, which they describe in different kinds of flowery language. Essentially such activities are the activities of animals [SB 10.84.13]. We should learn how to act from Bhagavad-gita, which explains everything for human understanding. Thus we can become happy even in this Age of Kali.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SB 10.2.34

There is no question of sectarianism. There is no question of this “ism” or that “ism.” It is a question of pure knowledge.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 2.13 — March 11, 1966, New York

If we stick to the particular type of ritualism — because I confess a particular type of faith, and my faith describes this sort of ritualism, I must follow — then you stick to that, you cannot make any progress. And if you go on simply philosophizing — this “ism,” that “ism,” that “ism,” nonsense-ism — then also you will not be able. And if you become mundane moralist, then also you will not be able. You have to become transcendental to all these mundane principles; then it will be possible to become perfectly Krsna conscious.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila 20.125–136 — November 27, 1966, New York 661127CC.NY

All this nationalism or so many “ism” we have discovered. Even the scientist. Scientist also, they worshiping the mother. He’s finding out the complexities of the matter, so he’s also worshiping mother. This is called materialism. One who is worshiping the mother, material energy, he’s called sakta.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 9.15–18 — December 2, 1966, New York

Now, if you put to this test of intelligent class of men, hardly you will find one in thousand or one in million. Therefore the present social structure is practically without any intelligent class of men, or without any head. At the present moment the whole society is going on by manufacturing some schemes that “This scheme will be successful for the proper execution of our human activities.” But another man gives you another plan. Therefore in the political world there are so many “isms,” and they are fighting with one another. That means there is no standard intelligence. I differ from you; you differ from me. Now, nobody knows who is intelligent.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Speech — July 28, 1968, Montreal

Because we have been accustomed in our present conditional life to revolt against surrender. There are so many parties, so many “isms,” and the main principle is that “Why shall I surrender?” That is the main disease. Just like the Communist party: their revolt is against the superior authority they call capitalists. Everywhere, the same thing is: “Why shall I surrender?”
But we have to surrender. That is our constitutional position. If I don’t surrender to some particular person or particular government or particular community or society or something, but ultimately I am surrendered: I am surrendered to the laws of nature. There is no independence. I have to surrender. When there is call of the cruel hands of death, immediately I have to surrender.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Lecture — October 7, 1968, Seattle

One should become free. That should be the aim of our life. So we are trying to be happy by changing by this “ism” to that “ism,” by capitalism to communism, from communism to this “ism,” to that “ism.” That will not make us happy. You’ll have to completely change from this “ism,” this materialism, that’s all. Then you’ll be happy.
That is our program, Krsna consciousness. We are not childish-ism. We are taking advice from the Supreme Person.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam Lecture — July 12, 1969, Los Angeles

Therefore, temporary relief under the name of this humanity, altruism, patriotism, nationalism, communism, socialism — there are so many “isms” — that is not solution. Real solution is this Krsna consciousness. You change your consciousness.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Lecture — July 7, 1971, Los Angeles

In India also, still we have got so many sects differing from original Vedic culture. Just like Lord Buddha, he is Indian. He was Hindu, he was ksatriya, but he differed from the Vedas. He started his own religious system, Buddhism. Although in India there is practically no Buddhism — it is outside India — but Buddhism also originated from India. Similarly, there is Jainism, Sikhism and so many other isms, but the original culture is Vedic culture. Every culture you’ll find there is a history. But Vedic culture has no history. Nobody knows when it began and when it will end. It will never end.
So on this cultural unity the whole world was one.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Lecture — September 16, 1971, Mombasa

So there is no scarcity in the kingdom of God, only because we are senseless duskrtina mudha, we do not manage nicely otherwise there is no scarcity. In God’s arrangement everything is there but we have created this “isms”. Nationalism, this is my land, this is your land, this is his land. Nobody’s land! Everything belongs to God, the land is not created by you, the water is not created by you, the fire is not created by you. Why you are claiming it is yours? That is mistake. So the Krsna consciousness movement is the practical understanding of the whole situation and solving the most important problem of life, death.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Pandal Lecture — November 11, 1971, Delhi

Prabhupada: I want to revive brahmana-ism, ksatriya-ism. Unless you do that, there cannot be any peace. Dharma. Dharma means this classification dharma. There are two kinds of dharmas. One, material dharma, and another, spiritual dharma. Actually, dharma means spiritual.
But so long we do not come to the standard platform of spiritual dharma, we have to regulate our life in such a way that we may come ultimately to the spiritual platform. So that material dharma is that, as Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita, [Bg. 4.13].
[According to the three modes of material nature and the work ascribed to them, the four divisions of human society were created by Me. And, although I am the creator of this system, you should know that I am yet the non-doer, being unchangeable.]

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with Dr. Karan Singh — November 25, 1971, Delhi

Syamasundara: We are so foolish that we are always thinking, “In the future I’ll be happy.”
Prabhupada: Yes, that is maya, illusion. That is a ass. You sit down on the back of the ass and just take a morsel of grass, he’ll go. The ass is thinking, “Let me go forward little, and I shall get the grass.” One feet distant it always remains. That is ass-ism. [laughter] Everyone is thinking, “Let me go a little forward, and I’ll get it.”

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Talk with Bob Cohen — February 28, 1972, Mayapur

So don’t follow all these nonsense things. Don’t follow all these “isms”; you’ll spoil your life, because you are not this body

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 9.4–6 — March 9, 1972, Calcutta

We don’t want to see what kind of religion you are following. It is all right. Everyone will say that “My religion is first class.” That’s all right, but there is a test.
What is that test? [SB 1.2.6]:
[The supreme occupation [dharma] for all humanity is that by which men can attain to loving devotional service unto the transcendent Lord. Such devotional service must be unmotivated and uninterrupted to completely satisfy the self.]
Whether you have developed love of God, that is the test. If you have developed love of God.We don’t say either this Hinduism, or Muslimism or any ism—if you are hankering, you are mad after God, that is your culmination of following religious system. [SB 1.2.8]
[The occupational activities a man performs according to his own position are only so much useless labor if they do not provoke attraction for the message of the Personality of Godhead.]

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.6 — March 26, 1972, Bombay

[SB 1.1.2]: “All these cheating type of religious system, I kick it out, this ism, that ism. I kick out all them. It is this book, especially meant for those who are simply paramahamsas. It is meant for them. It is not for the ordinary men. I have kicked out all the so-called religious system, dharma artha kama.”
Nowadays they are not even for dharma or artha; they are simply kama, sense gratification. Sense gratification, because every one of us, we come here for sense gratification.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.9.6–14 — May 2, 1972, Tokyo

Perhaps this is the only institution, this Krsna consciousness movement, which is teaching the absolute necessity of human being. Why perhaps? It is the only institution. All are rascals. They do not know the value of life. Simply misleading by so-called nationalism, this ism, that ism, that ism. Simply misleading. Therefore the younger generation, they are frustrated.
They are seeing actually that they are being exploited by these rascal politicians.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.11 — August 9, 1972, London

And so long we are designated, we don’t care for Krsna, we care for society, friendship, love, country, philanthropism, this “ism,” that “ism,” that is our bondage.
If you serve Krsna, then naturally you serve everything.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => The Nectar of Devotion — October 19, 1972, Vrndavana

So we must know that whatever we possess, whatever we are seeing, these are all dream, temporary. Therefore if we become engrossed with the temporary things — so-called socialism, nationalism, family-ism or this-ism, that-ism — and waste our time, without cultivating Krsna consciousness.[SB 1.2.8],
[The occupational activities a man performs according to his own position are only so much useless labor if they do not provoke attraction for the message of the Personality of Godhead.]
Simply wasting our time, creating another body. Our own business is that we should know that “I am not this dream. I am fact, spiritual fact. So I have got a different business.” That is called spiritual life.
That is spiritual life, when we understand that “I am Brahman. I am not this matter.” [Bg. 18.54].
[And of all yogis, he who always abides in Me with great faith, worshiping Me in transcendental loving service, is most intimately united with Me in yoga and is the highest of all.]
That time we shall be joyful.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 2.15 — November 21, 1972, Hyderabad

The sahajiyas, they immediately try to understand the love affairs of Krsna and Radharani. That is sahajiya-ism. Here we have to take instruction from Narottama dasa Thakura. First of all we have to take the mercy of Rupa-Raghunatha, Gosvami. Then if our luck is good, then we can understand what is Radha-Krsna prema.It is not a thing to be understood by the common man in the bazaar, Radha-Krsna. Therefore, in spite of hearing Radha-Krsna lila for many, many years, they remain in the same position, not a single step forward to understand Krsna.
Because they do not try to understand Radha-Krsna through the channel chalked out by Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Gosvamis. We must know. Radha-Krsna is not ordinary.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => The Nectar of Devotion — January 5, 1973, Bombay

So many religious sect have come out, but original religion is this Vedic religion. But after that, so many religions they have come. So they have got history. Either this Christian religion or this Muhammadan religion, Buddhist religion, Jain religion, this religion, that religion, this “ism,” that “ism,” they have got history. History. It is limited, within the limited time. But this Vedic religion has no beginning or end. Therefore, they will theorize, “In our religion it is said this.” Oh, whatever your religion may be, that real purpose of religion is to understand God. How far you have understood God? That is practically nil. But these formula and the dogmas and this and that, they’re full of.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.1.9 — February 20, 1973, Auckland

They’re doing all kinds of sinful activities. So, suppose after this body, on account of my sinful activities, I am going to become a rat or cat or snake or a tree, then what is the use of my so much nationalism and this “ism” and that.
If by nature I am going to accept next life the body of a cat and dog, or a tree, then what is the meaning of my this so-called nationalism at the present moment? Is it not the duty of the guardians who are taking care of the people to educate human being in such a way that they can get better body? Where is that education? You are darkness; nobody knows what kind of body he’s going to accept next life.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with Indonesian Scholar — February 27, 1973, Jakarta

So there is no restriction that papa-yoni shall remain always papa-yoni. Why? They should be given enlightenment. That is brahmana-ism. Brahmana means liberal, and just the opposite word of brahmana is krpana, miser. A brahmana should give chance to everyone, even to the papa-yoni, how to become brahmana. That is real brahmana. And the rascal who thinks that “I shall remain simply brahmana; others shall remain mlecchas and yavanas,” he is not brahmana; he is sudra, because his mind is so crippled. He does not want to see others to become brahmana. He is miser, krpana. [Bg. 2.49].
[O Dhananjaya, rid yourself of all fruitive activities by devotional service, and surrender fully to that consciousness. Those who want to enjoy the fruits of their work are misers.]
So our this movement is not for the krpanas. It is meant for the brahmanas. We want to become ourself brahmana, and we want to make others also brahmana, because there is need of brahmana at the present moment.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.9.49 — June 15, 1973, Mayapur

So Arjuna was not a coward. He was a competent warrior. But still, the bodily concept of life is so strong that Arjuna admits, [Bg. 1.28]: “My dear Krsna, I have to kill my own men.” What is that “own men”? “Own men” means this bodily relationship. Why others are not own men? Everyone is own men, because everyone is Krsna’s son. So when one becomes Krsna conscious, he can see everyone own men. And when he is not Krsna conscious, he simply sees own men where there is bodily relationship. This is the defect. They are advertising humanitarian work, philanthropic work, Communism, this “ism,” but when there is question of bodily relationship, immediately everything is changed.
So you can advertise that “I am for everyone,” but there is affection for own men. Nepotism. Nepotism. It’s called nepotism. So many big, big leaders. So this “own men” question is very prominent everywhere.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 1.28–29 — July 22, 1973, London

So in this age every man is very slow. They do not know that there is need of spiritual understanding, there is need of making progress in spiritual life. They have forgotten. They have become just like animals. And if one is little interested, he accepts something bogus which has no meaning. “I belong to this ‘ism’; I belong to that ‘ism,’ that ‘ism,’ that…” “Ism,” what is that “ism”? [SB 6.3.19].
[Real religious principles are enacted by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Although fully situated in the mode of goodness, even the great rsis who occupy the topmost planets cannot ascertain the real religious principles, nor can the demigods or the leaders of Siddhaloka, to say nothing of the asuras, ordinary human beings, Vidyadharas and Caranas.]
It is simple thing that the dharma means, religious code means, the order of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. We have to obey. That is called dharma.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 1.32–35 — July 25, 1973, London

Prabhupada: Bhukti and mukti. So they have manufactured so many “isms,” bhukti-ism and mukti-ism. Therefore Krsna says, “Give up all these ‘ism.’ Simply take surrender unto Me, that’s all.” This is real love.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation — July 30, 1973, London

So any religion, it doesn’t matter—Christianity or Hinduism or Buddhism or this ism—if you have got actual conception of God, and if you have learned how to love Him, then it is perfect. Otherwise it is useless ritual simply. That is the test. I don’t particularly say any ism. But our aim is how to understand God and how to love Him. That’s all. But if in your religious system there is no sense of God, and what to speak of to love Him, we take it useless. It may be very great propaganda, but ultimately if one does not understand what is God and how to love Him, then it is useless. What is the use of following such religion if I do not come to the ultimate understanding? We take it as useless.
Our test is there. You may represent yourself as Buddhist or Hindus or Mohammedan — I want to test whether you have learned to love God, whether you have now some knowledge of God. Because if you love to God, you must have some knowledge. You cannot love something fictitious. That is not love. When I ask you to love, “love” means some person. You are not to love some air in the sky. You cannot love. That is not possible. So whether you have got any question when there is love of God, whether you have got any knowledge of the person of God, and what is His nature, what is the difference between God and me — this is the science of God — then there is question of love.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with Professor Lewcock — August 5, 1973, London

The fighting spirit is there. That is one of the symptoms of living condition: fighting. So when that fighting should take place? Of course, at the present moment, by the ambitious politicians they fight. But fighting, according to Vedic civilization, fighting means dharma-yuddha, on religious principle. Not by whims of political ideas, “ism.”

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 2.6 — August 6, 1973, London

The whole material civilization, nationalism, socialism, this “ism,” that “ism,” everything based on this bodily concept of life. But one who is in bodily concept of life, he is no better than cows and asses.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation — September 2, 1973, London

Even we manufacture so many “isms” — philanthropism, humanitarianism, nationalism, socialism, so many — but what are these “isms”? That is also sense gratification. I satisfy my senses. I want to see that the senses of my brother, senses of my sister, senses of my friends, or senses of my society people, or my nation, countrymen, they are satisfied. The business is sense gratification.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.1–8 — September 6, 1973, Stockholm

The so-called socialism, nationalism, this “ism,” that is also sense gratification, but it is expanded sense gratification.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 13.14 — October 7, 1973, Bombay

Prabhupäda: Suppose a man is a medical practitioner. He may be born in a brähmaëa family or çüdra family—nobody wants to know to which family he belongs to. If he sees that he is a medical practitioner, he has passed the M.D. examination and that he is practicing then people accept him as doctor, medical man. Nobody asks him, “Are you a brähmaëa? Then I make my treatment with you.” Nobody asks that. So this is the çästric injunction. Then later on this caste brähmaëism, çüdra-ism made the whole thing, whole Hindu culture, Vedic culture, spoiled. That should be the point. Now if somebody is claiming that “I am brähmaëa,” then government should force him to become actually a brähmaëa. That is government’s duty; that is secular state. Not that “Let people go to hell. We don’t care for them.” That is not required. If you are claiming to become a brähmaëa, you must act as a brähmaëa. That should be the platform. But they are claiming brähmaëism by birth. That is not allowed in the çästra. [Bg. 4.13].
[According to the three modes of material nature and the work ascribed to them, the four divisions of human society were created by Me. And, although I am the creator of this system, you should know that I am yet the non-doer, being unchangeable.]
Never says birth.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation — November 4, 1973, Delhi

The greatest benefit to the human society—to stop their repetition of birth and death. That is the business of the Gosvämés. Not this party or that party, capitalism and Communism, this “ism,” that… What they will derive? You may follow capitalism or Communism or this “ism,” that “ism”; after death, you’ll be immediately under the grip of material nature. Now all your so-called rascal nationalism go to hell. You become a dog. Finish.” That is nature’s course. You have treated your life like cats and dogs. You did not take advantage of your human life. Now nature will give you, “All right, again you become cats and dogs.” They do not know the secret science of nature. You may be a very great leader, prime minister, now. Next life you are going to be a dog in Scandinavia.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.1.2 [Significance of Sad-gosvamy-astaka] — March 17, 1974, Vrndavana

The unemployment, devil’s workshop, that is breeding so many isms.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Bhagavad-gita 4.15 — April 4, 1974, Bombay

Because due to your wrong identification, you have created so-called “isms”: Hinduism, Muhammadanism, nationalism, this “ism,” that “ism.” This is all nonsense. This is the understanding of religion. Whatever we have created with the bodily concept of life, they are all nonsense. The real religion is that “I am eternal servant of Krsna.” That is real religion.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.6 — May 24, 1974, Rome

And if one little interested, they will take some path which is not approved. Which is not approved. They will invent something, so many “isms.”

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.25.20 — November 20, 1974, Bombay

Prabhupäda: …and standing naked, that those who are fond of nudie-ism, they will get it next life: “All right, you stand naked for many years.” This is the punishment. Human society, naked, that is their punishment. The trees are taken to be the most tolerant. Nudie-ism. So the punishment is that “All right, you become nudie. You remain standing in one place for five thousand years.” [laughter] Yes. The trees live up to five thousand years, ten thousand. They live.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk — March 4, 1975, Dallas

Sarva-dharman means in the material world we have created so many so-called duties. This is our material disease. People are interested in material engagements, and they have created different varieties of engagements. Sociology, Communism, and this “ism,” that “ism,” philanthropism, altruism, internationalism, nationalism — many, many duties they have created. That is all material. That is their misfortune.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi-lila 1.1 — March 25, 1975, Mayapur

That is real government, real parenthood, real guru-ism — how to save the disciples or the citizens or the son, subordinate. They come to your shelter. Just like these children have come to the shelter of father and mother, the disciples have come to the shelter of guru, the citizens are expecting good government. So they are subordinate, expecting protection from the superior. Therefore the whole scheme should be how to protect them from repetition of death.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi-lila 1.11 — April 4, 1975, Mayapur

You can change the name from this “ism” to that “ism,” but every “ism” is material.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk — June 18, 1975, Honolulu

It is called maya, illusion. Even you are in the most abominable condition of life, we will feel, “Now we are very happy.” So that is our position.
We do not want to leave this place. Therefore we create nationalism, Communism, this “ism,” that “ism,” because we want to stay here permanently. But unfortunately nobody will be allowed to stay, even if you want to stay. That is the miserable condition of material life.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.19 — July 2, 1975, Denver

Every one of us, we are all tannery expert, and we are created so many “isms” on the basis of becoming a tannery expert. Therefore they are called muci.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.56-57 — August 14, 1975, Bombay

Whole world is embarrassed how to fulfill the belly. That economic question, this question, that question, philanthropism, this “ism,” that “ism,” the whole thing is centered round this belly.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk — September 19, 1975, Vrndavana

Prabhupäda: So if you take “Hinduism,” there are so many hodgepodge ideas. But if you take “Kåñëa-ism,” no Indian will deny it. If you say “Hinduism,” it is already distinct from others, but if you take “Krsna-ism,” it will include all others, and the Hindus will not object.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with Professor Olivier — October 10, 1975, Durban

When one forgets Krsna and manufactures so many plans of service, the whole thing becomes spoiled. This is going on. Throughout the whole world they are making plan — humanitarianism, this -ism, that -ism, philanthropism — and no Krsna-ism. Except Krsna-ism. Therefore all their plans are becoming foiled. This is the disease. We do not know what is dharma, and we violate the orders of Krsna. [SB 6.3.19].
[Real religious principles are enacted by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Although fully situated in the mode of goodness, even the great rsis who occupy the topmost planets cannot ascertain the real religious principles, nor can the demigods or the leaders of Siddhaloka, to say nothing of the asuras, ordinary human beings, Vidyadharas and Caranas.]
Dharma means the order of God. That is dharma. Two words, the definition of dharma. There are so many definitions of dharma, but real dharma, as we understand from the Vedic scripture, The order given by the Supreme Lord, that is dharma. Otherwise, adharma.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila 20.108 — November 16, 1975, Bombay

Prabhupada: It will collapse. Either you may bring this ism or that ism, this civilization will collapse. People will become mad, being harassed in so many ways. When one is harassed in so many problems, he commits suicide. So that position is coming.
Hamsaduta: Or he starts a war.
Prabhupada: Yes. When the government cannot adjust, they start a war.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk — November 29, 1975, Delhi

Prabhupada: Even your Gandhi-ism, that is also concoction. “Gandhi invented nonviolence,” that is also concoction. It is impossible. So everyone is doing this — something manufacturing. That is not sanatana dharma. Sanatana dharma is never manufactured. It is already there. You have to accept it, that’s all. Otherwise everyone is manufacturing some concoction. This is going on. Krsna is teaching, “Fight.” And Gandhi is teaching from Bhagavad-gita nonviolence. Just see.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk — December 16, 1975, Bombay

Prabhupäda: How many isms, nobody knows. What is called? Faction. Faction. Everyone is divided from the other. So we should not bring that attitude in our Society. That is my request.
Pusta Krsna: Envious. They’re all envious.
Prabhupada: That you should not do. And that unity is possible only when harer nama [Cc. Adi 17.21] is there constantly.
[In this Age of Kali there is no other means, no other means, no other means for self-realization than chanting the holy name, chanting the holy name, chanting the holy name of Lord Hari.]
Otherwise, it will be factional.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk — March 10, 1976, Mayapur

That is Vaisnava’s duty, because they practically see that these rascals are engaged only in false activities which will not help him. They are planning this “ism,” that “ism,” that “ism,” that “ism,” simply wasting time.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.9.43 — March 23, 1976, Calcutta

These are all temporary religion—Hinduism, Buddha-ism, Christianism and Muhammadanism. There are so many “isms.” They are all temporary; temporary in this sense: that because one is born in Hindu family or in Christian family, he is automatically Christian. Even if he does not accept the principles of Christian or Hindu, because he is born in the family of a Hindu or Christian or Muhammadan, he is accepted as Hindu, Muslim. But that is due to this body. The body is also temporary; therefore that sort of religion is also temporary. As soon as the body is changed, now the religion is changed. Everything is changed with the change of body. Not only in human society. Suppose today I am a human being; tomorrow I may become a tree. That is also plant society. So tree is standing for thousand of years—he is very happy—but if you are asked to stand for three hours, you will die practically. So why? Because due to the change of body the toleration is there. All sense enjoyment is offered by the laws of nature according to the change of body. This philosophy practically is unknown to the world, that the body changes and our sense gratification, material enjoyment, is offered according to the body. Just like a hog: hog’s sense enjoyment is stool-eating. He enjoys life by eating stool. Why? Because he has got a particular type of body. According to this body, we enjoy our senses.
So this is going on. Therefore the religious system according to the body, it is temporary. That is temporary religion. Permanent religion is different. That is actual religion: that you give up all system of religion. We take religion as occupational duty. Religion is also duty. The Christian has got a certain type of duties to be performed; a Hindus, they have got certain types of duties. So religion actually means duty, occupational duties. So Kåñëa says, “Give up all religion.” Now one may question that He came to establish the principles of religion; now He says, “Give up all types of religion.” So what is this? Contradictory. No, it is not contradictory. He is asking to give up all types of religion, but He is offering another religion, mam ekam saranam vraja: “Just surrender unto Me.”
So really, religion means to surrender to God. Religion means to abide by the orders of God. That is religion, simple definition of religion.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Lecture about Mayavada Philosophy — May 17, 1976, Honolulu

Prabhupada: Knowledge means misguiding knowledge. That’s all. That is not knowledge. That is going on. In the name of knowledge, all rascaldom is going on. That is the misfortune of the present world. In the name of knowledge, all rascal “isms” going on. That’s all.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk — May 27, 1976, Honolulu

So actually, the Vedic system is called sanätana-dharma. Not Hindu dharma. This is a wrong conception. The sanätana-dharma is meant for all living entities, not the so-called Hindus, Muslim, Christian. For everyone. That is sanätana-dharma. These are later misconceptions, Hinduism and this “ism,” that “ism,” that “ism.” Actually, it is called sanätana-dharma, or varëäçrama-dharma. That is meant for everyone. But because it was being followed regularly in India, and Indians were called by the Muslims on the other side of the river Sind, or Sindu, and they pronounce Sind as Hind, therefore they called India as Hindustan, means on the other side of Sindu, or Hindu River. Otherwise, it has no Vedic reference. So this Hindu dharma has no Vedic reference. The real Vedic dharma is sanätana-dharma, varëäçrama-dharma. First of all he has to understand this. Now that sanätana-dharma, or Vedic dharma, being distorted, not being obeyed, not being carried properly, it has come to the understanding of “Hinduism.” That is a fake understanding. That is not real understanding. We have to study sanätana-dharma, or varëäçrama-dharma. Then we’ll understand what is Vedic religion. Every living entity is eternal, sanatana. God is eternal, and we can live with God in a place which is called sanatana-dhama. So this reciprocation is called sanatana-dharma. So Vedic religion means this sanatana-dharma, not Hindu dharma or Muslim dharma or this dharma. Krsna is eternal, we are eternal, and the place we live, exchanging our feelings, that is eternal. And the system which teaches this eternal system of reciprocation, that is called sanatana-dharma. That is meant for everyone.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => — June 29, 1976, New Vrindavan

George Orwell: What’s your view of Judaism and Christianity?
Prabhupäda: I have not studied, but any “ism,” if it is meant for making the soul free from this bodily condition, that is first class “ism.” Otherwise, it is simply waste of time. George Orwell: I don’t think Judaism and Christianity do that. They cherish the physical, you know, the world itself.
Prabhupada: That is ignorance. That is ignorance.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Interview with Religious Editor of the Associated Press — July 16, 1976, New York

It is like chewing the chewed, that’s all. Somebody has chewed the sugarcane and it’s thrown away. Another man comes, “Let me taste it.” And what you’ll taste? It is already finished.
So all these “isms,” they are all finished. All the scientific discoveries, they are all finished.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Evening Conversation — August 8, 1976, Tehran

So practically now in this age especially, everyone is identifying with this body. That is the basic principle of nationalism, communism, or this “ism” or that “ism”: the bodily conception of life. And according to Vedic version, anyone who is identifying with this body, he is animal. There are so many “isms.” If I go to criticize and study, it will take most of our time. Better positively present what you want. If you like, you can take it, that’s all. There are so many “isms.” When we become animal, then we manufacture so many “isms.” Those who are not fixed up, they have got so many “isms,” and those who are fixed up, they have got one “ism” — that is Krsna consciousness.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Press Interview at — August 17, 1976, Hyderabad

After death you have to change your body. Then where is your ism? Whole ism changed. That they do not understand. They’re so much in darkness, mudha. “Today I am very great national leader — my country, my…,” so on, so on. And tomorrow by the laws of nature if I become a dog in Europe, then where is my nationalism?
And it is possible. It is possible. Because you are under nature’s law, you are not independent.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Conversation — January 6, 1976, Bombay

Prabhupada: The thing is that this nationalism… We have to go beyond that. Actually they’re happening. These boys, they’re not thinking in terms of nationalism. Otherwise he had no business to come to me and to start this. We are in a different platform — Krsna-ism. That is our platform.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Conversation — January 6, 1976, Bombay

The so-called philanthropy, altruism, humanitarianism, this ism, that…. Bogus… Not bogus — useless. It will not help. They are pious activities. So Caitanya-caritamrta says, pious or impious, both of them are impediments to Krsna consciousness. So we are not interested with pious activities or impious even. We are interested how to serve Krsna. Our philosophy is very difficult to understand.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation — January 8, 1977, Bombay

Prabhupäda: The so-called religious books they’re presenting—all bogus humbug. [laughter] Humbug imagination, that’s all. There is no fact. Just like Ramakrishna Mission. What religion they have got? Anyone? This religion, that religion, Jainism, Sikhism, this “ism,” no nothing. Simply bogus propaganda. One religion, this is sarva-dharman parityajya [Bg. 18.66], to become surrendered to God. That is religion. And they’re useless. That is our religion. We are teaching surrender to God, but they have no idea that there is God. They have forgotten that “There is God, and He can talk with me. I can talk with Him.” They cannot believe all these things. “Even if God is there, He cannot talk. He has no mouth, He has no leg.” Nirakara, impersonal. This is their position.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation — January 21, 1977, Bhubaneswar

I have come to this material world. I am creating so many isms by the mind and acting with the senses, and there is struggle. [Bg. 15.7]. Prakrti-sthani, being placed in this material atmosphere, he’s simply struggling. Therefore we are giving the solution: “You give up this struggle. Go back to home, back to Godhead.”

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation — January 31, 1977, Bhubaneswar

Just like Krsna says, “This is religion: surrender unto Me.” This is religion. It is not man-manufactured. Man is manufacturing, “Oh, this is my type of religion. It is Muhammadanism.” “This is Hinduism.” “This is Christianism.” All these isms, they are imperfect, man-made. But this is perfect. This is perfect because it is given by God Himself. [SB 6.3.19].
[Real religious principles are enacted by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Although fully situated in the mode of goodness, even the great rsis who occupy the topmost planets cannot ascertain the real religious principles, nor can the demigods or the leaders of Siddhaloka, to say nothing of the asuras, ordinary human beings, Vidyadharas and Caranas.]

>>> Ref. VedaBase => The Evolutionists: Thomas Huxley, Henri Bergson, and Samuel Alexander

Prabhupada: That is Krsna consciousness. It has nothing to do with materialistic “isms.” It is directly connected with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. God demands that sarva-dharman parityajya mam [Bg. 18.66]. So we are teaching that “You, you are servant, but your service is wrongly placed; therefore you are not happy. You place or render the service to Krsna, you will be happy.” This is Krsna consciousness. We are neither for capitalism nor for so-called Communism, or not for so-called religion also. We are only for Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Carl Gustav Jung

Many men have dedicated their lives for many engagements in the name of philanthrophy, altruism, nationalism, humanitarianism and so on, but all of them will be finished along with the end of life of this body. Our dedication of life or Krishna-ism, on the other hand, will continue eternally and give us eternal life, bliss and knowledge.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Letter to: Ksirodakasayi — Los Angeles 29 January, 1970

All material creeds under the name of socialism, communism, communalism, nationalism, altruism, bolshevism, Leninism, Gandhism, Christianism, Hinduism, Muhammadanism, or any other hundred and thousands of isms are different manifestations of the divine nature adulterated with materialism. Divine nature is spiritualism and is completely free from all the above-mentioned materialism and therefore Spiritualism is pure and simple Love of Godhead.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => EA 20: Perfection at Home-A Novel Contribution to the Fallen Humanity

In the beginning of this part Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is worshipped by the author as follows:
“Let us offer our respectful obeisances at the lotus feet of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu by whose mercy only even a boy or an ignorant person also can cross over the ocean of multiconclusive opinions of various schools of transcendental realisation. Such different conclusions are at loggerhead with each other represented by Jainism, Buddhism, Jaiminism, Patanjalism, Goutamism, Kanadism, Kapilism, Shankarism, Duttatreyaism and so many others like Ramkrishnaism, Aravindaism etc. both in India and outside. All these different isms are compared with the sharks and crocodiles in the vast ocean of scripture for self-realisation.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => BTGPY26b: Chaitanya Charitamrita

–JULY 5.1960

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s